background

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Semi-Vacation

 This past weekend had been planned for a long time.  Back in May when Chad and I went to Dallas for the Dave Matthews concert we thought it would be fun to go for a long weekend and take Eli with us.  We originally planned to go to a Texas Rangers game and to the Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Circus.  I bought the circus tickets and was super excited about taking Eli.  The closer the weekend got, the more we wished we were just staying home.  I mean, we were excited about the circus, but we were having problems finding someone to dog sit for us.  We decided to just go for one night (yes, it's a 5 hour drive for us), go to the circus and come back.  I know, it's a long trip for the circus but Eli didn't even really know what a circus involved and we were excited to take him.

We get on the road Friday morning and Eli is quiet.  Chad mentioned his eyes look glassy.  I immediately knew what was wrong.  FEVER!!  We stopped at the first Walmart and bought a thermometer and Motrin.  Hey, I'm a nurse... I MUST know how high his temperature is!  Poor thing had 102 degree temp and wasn't complaining a single bit.  Of course turning around crossed my mind but we kept driving.

All Eli kept saying was he didn't want to stay in a hotel, he wanted to go back to his home.  I promised him it would be fun and he would love the circus.  If we even made it...

We stopped at Chick Fil-A for lunch on the way.  He wanted to play on the playground but since he had fever he had to settle for a milkshake instead :)


We took my friend's advice and had dinner at Uncle Julio's.  And boy am I glad we did!  It was delicious!


We kept Mortin in Eli as often as we could but his fever just wouldn't stay down.
He was such a trooper!  He never complained about not feeling good.  He kept saying "I feel fine, Mommy".

 When we got back to the hotel Eli crashed in our bed.  He's such a sweet patient when he's sick.  He definitely gets that from Chad and not me!  I tried to force down some Tylenol since it wasn't time for more Motrin.  Bad idea.  He threw up all over the bathroom floor.  He has a sensitive gag reflex ;)

 He finally fell asleep around 11:00pm.  We were afraid we were in for a long night and just kept hoping his fever would be gone by the morning so we could go to the circus.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment