background

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hospital Day Three

I will start with last night since I blogged kind of early yesterday.  Well it was interesting to say the least!  My brother-in-law came to stay with Chad while I ran home to see Eli and shower yesterday evening.  He managed to pull out his IV while I was gone.  When I got back Chad was actually carrying on conversations, answering questions, and following commands.  He made the comment "Man, I've been out of it".  Music to my ears!  He actually said a sentence!

We tried to go to sleep at a decent time but that didn't work so well.  He was up most of the night messing with his (new) IV, causing his pump to alarm, pulling off his telemetry leads (no less than 10 times) and eating bananas (two of them), peaking out the window and walking around the room.  Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep and I'm feeling it today. 

How's he doing today?  He seems to be less confused this morning.  Don't get me wrong, the confusion is still there.  He's not sure where he is, although we've told him multiple times this morning.  He's started having some hallucinations.  I think it's just part of whatever is going on in his brain or maybe from lack of sleep.  But he is carrying on conversations, laughing, following commands, etc.  All things he couldn't do yesterday.  So it's definitely an improvement!  I know it will just take time for all the confusion to go away.  They have consulted an endocrinologist and neurologist today.  They both came to see him earlier.  From what they are saying, they are now looking at his pituitary gland for the cause of everything.  It sounds like they have almost ruled out viral encephalitis but we're just not convinced that's not what was wrong.  He had every single symptom of encephalitis.  We are still waiting on the results from the EEG, but the MRI and MRA were both normal. 

So that's what's been going on today.  Chad's brother, Brian, flew in from CT this morning.  He is staying here with us until Friday.  I'm so happy he's here!  It's nice to have someone here who knows what questions to ask and understands what the doctors say.  It definitely has eased my mind. 

I know I keep saying this but I feel I can't say it enough.  Thanks to everyone for the prayers, sweet words of encouragement, texts and phone calls.  It feels so great knowing we have so many friends out there!  I will keep you all updated as we learn new things!


No comments:

Post a Comment