background

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hospital Day Four

I know this is a day late but I wanted to give you an update on what happened yesterday.  There might be multiple blog posts today so I didn't want to get out of order or it might be confusing.  Brian was willing to stay here with Chad so I could leave and spend some time with Eli.  I haven't really seen Eli since Chad was admitted on Saturday, so it was nice to get some time in with him.

I have a funny story about Tuesday night.  Chad was doing great on Tuesday, much less confusion but it was still there along with hallucinations.  I don't guess I've ever been around anyone having hallucinations but it was quite funny at times.  Tuesday night we were both exhausted at this point.  We had neither one slept the night before so we tried to go to bed at a decent time.  While I was fast asleep Chad decided he would try to escape!  He pulled out his IV and headed down the hall.  Now remember he hasn't been out of his room (much less really known where he was) until now.  Luckily the nurse caught him and helped him back to his room.  I never knew any of this was taking place!  They turned on his bed alarm that would sound if he got out of bed (and wake me up).  Of course he set it off a few more times throughout the night.  Needless to say we didn't much sleep that night either.

Wednesday he was doing much better.  He woke up a little confused on where he was but everything else was back to normal.  He woke up asking to see Eli so I brought him up for a short visit.  It was a great reunion!  As the day progressed Chad finally remembered where he was and the old Chad was back.  Now he's just completely exhausted from the lack of sleep.  The hallucinations are gone as well.

The doctors still don't have any answers as to what exactly was wrong.  I think they've pretty much narrowed it down to either an episode of migraines or encephalitis.  They are only thinking it was just migraines because none of the tests clearly indicated encephalitis.  However, with encephalitis, many times all the tests are negative and they never find a cause so it can be hard to diagnose.  It's so frustrating because we just want an answer.  Unfortunately we may never get one.

I guess what matters most is he's doing better and back to his old self.  He's itching to get outside so we will try to take a walk later today when it warms up.  We haven't seen a doctor today yet so we don't know when they will discharge him.  He's still on some IV antibiotics so it may not be until tomorrow. 

I will post more as I learn it today! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keri, this is Begina Proctor, one of Chad's cousins. I just found out all of this from my mom yesterday. Wanted you all to know that we are praying for Chad. Thank you for keeping us up to date!

    ReplyDelete